Mildew and musty smells in homes, crawlspaces, basements, and attics are extremely common and may lead to allergies, infections, toxin-medicated conditions for homeowners in Victoria, Cowichan, Duncan, Nanaimo, Parksville, Qualicum, Courtenay, Comox, Campbell River, and Port Alberni.

Mildew thrives in areas of excess moisture and leaves behind a stale and undesirable smelly odor on every surface they invade.

Mildew is an organism that thrives in areas of excess moisture and leaves behind a stale and undesirable smelly odor. The term mildew is often used to generically refer to mold growth in households. They can thrive on many organic materials including cloth, leather, paper, ceilings, walls, and floors. Consequently, they can leave their smell on every surface they invade.

Read our report on mold exposure and health hazards.

The main cause of mildew is dampness and improper lighting. It starts because of plumbing or roof leaks, overflows from sinks or bath tubs, high humidity, and so forth. It causes considerable damage by leaving a musty smell and discoloring fabrics and surfaces. Mildew spreads very fast, in approximately about 24-48 hours and the more it spreads, the stronger the smell gets.

Letting the air flow freely by opening windows and doors, proper circulation, allowing light in by opening drapes and blinds, and stopping old leaks can lead to a lessening of the mildew smell but does not eliminate it completely. In order to get rid of the mildew smell, one has to use something more effective than just extra lighting or proper ventilation alone. It should be noted that homemade smell removers also are not effective enough to get the mildew smell out.

Sometimes, people get wrongly advised and start using hazardous materials to remove mildew smells, without considering the ill effects of mildew smell removal through harmful chemicals. Silica gel, activated alumina, anhydrous calcium sulfate, and calcium chloride have also been used to control moisture in order to rid mildew smell but one has to exercise caution when using these chemicals which can be expensive and messy.

But, help is on the way if you are looking for a mildew smell removing service that is eco-friendly, non-toxic, safe and Health Canada approved.

How We Neutralize Mildew and Musty Smells

We neutralize the musty smell by applying our eco-friendly, safe chemical into your home, attic, crawlspace, or basement. Depending on the job, we apply our formula by spray, mist, foam, or fog. We do not use a tent. The average time of our on-site service is approximately one hour. An additional four hours is required to achieve maximum effectiveness. We ask that you stay out of the premise for approximately 5 hours in total. Read more about how we work.

Pacific Decontamination Services uses the world’s strongest, most effective and safe antimicrobial disinfectant, deodorization and chemical decontaminate. Our professional application will eliminate up to 99.99999% of any allergen, germ, bacteria or fungus that it touches. AND as powerful as it is, it is also completely safe.

What do you do next? How do you solve the challenge of mildew, musty smell, mold and associated health hazards?

Call Pacific Decontamination Services at 778-269-0208 or email us!

Serving All of Vancouver Island: Victoria, Cowichan, Duncan, Nanaimo, Parksville, Qualicum, Courtenay, Comox, Campbell River, and Port Alberni.